- This event has passed.
21st annual Yachats Village Mushroom Fest
October 16, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
One event on October 17, 2020 at 9:00 am
One event on October 18, 2020 at 9:00 am
Download Menus and Markets (pdf format)
From Friday, October 16 thru Sunday, October 18…
The Yachats Village Mushroom Fest invites mushroom lovers from near and far to come enjoy a weekend of delectable mushroom dishes prepared by restaurant chefs; to explore markets for exotic cultivated and choice wild culinary mushrooms for dishes you prepare at home; to forage for wonderful mushroom products, books, and fungi-themed arts and crafts; and to learn about how to identify mushrooms and the roles of fungi in forest ecology.
For twenty years, Yachats has put the fun in fungi with this annual festival that is all about mushrooms.
The Ecology for Everyone program, including the popular Speakers Forum, Workshops, Guided Mushroom Walks, and large Mushroom Displays, had to be canceled this year due to Covid-19. Nonetheless, we are excited to provide superb educational material online thanks to contributions from members of the festival’s extraordinary team of scientists and educators.
This year’s fest, like those before, promises a delicious and fruitful weekend for all fun-guys and fun-gals.
Mushroom Fest program for 2020:
- Fungi Feast! To see restaurant chefs’ specials – just click links below:
Beach Street Kitchen ◊ Drift Inn Cafe & Pub ◊ Green Salmon Coffee Company
Luna Sea Fish House ◊ Ona Restaurant & Lounge ◊ Yachats Brewing
- The Yachats Farmers Market will be open both Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 2pm and will feature mushroom vendors, including the local Rain Forest Mushrooms, My Mushroom People, and others, offering mushroom products and choice wild and exotic cultivated culinary mushrooms (fresh and dried). Crafts vendors will have some fungi themed items, as well. The Farmers Market is held on W 4th St between Hwy 101 and Pontiac. Parking is available on 4th St west of Pontiac, and in the parking lot at 5th St off Hwy 101. No Mask-No Market | No Pets.
- C & K Market is offering a great selection, including organic king oyster mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, organic shiitake, lobster mushrooms, chanterelle, large portobello, and sliced portobello. Open 8am to 9pm. 231 Hwy 101 between W 2nd & 3rd.
- Foraging for FunGi in Village Shops & Galleries, and online:
Find fungi books, arts and crafts, tools, and other specialty items about town.
Click here for details.
- Online Educational Resources:
Dave Pilz Selected Downloadable Pubs for the Yachats Mushroom Fest
The Mycological History Lecture Series
Dr. Dan Luoma Presentation to BLM: Mycorrhizal Fungi – Lessons from green-tree retention (YouTube)
A 40 year journey leads to a new truffle species
Dr. Charles LeFevre at Tree School Online: Commercial Truffle Cultivation in Western Oregon (YouTube)
Can My Space Mushroom? – OSU Extension Question answered by Dr. Steven Carpenter
Forest to Table & Beyond – a primer on mushroom preservation, by B Bunyard & T Lynch
Cascade Mycological Society (CMS) | CMS Cookbook
North American Truffling Society
Wild Mushrooms – an introduction – Lincoln County Mycological Society
A fun activity for families with kids: Cape Perpetua Discovery Loop Trail Quest
This is a wonderful local quest for kids, including a little bit about lichens and mushrooms.